I’ve decided to take a Summer Internet Vacation, which means, um, mostly saying “no” to the most persistent elements of technological addiction.
I took a month off most of the Internet last fall and it was a wonderful, relaxing growth experience. I’ve been quite oppressively connected the past few months, and after some thought, I’ve decided it’s time for another break.
I’m going to try something different this time.
Since I know that last time I felt like I gained a huge amount of time, I’m going to specifically channel that gained time and energy into indentified directions.
These are the restrictions I’ll attempt to abide by:
- No read access to social media.
- I’ll only post things I’ve written which I feel are of substance.
- No email before 10am or after 10pm.
- No alerts or notifications on my phone.
These are my goals with the gained time:
- Spend more quality time with my wonderful family.
- Publish at least one blog post of substance each week.
- Write a substantial letter each week to at least one “friend from the Internet”.
- Have a lengthy coffee or lunch each week with at least one local person.
- Read only novels and poetry before bed at night.
I’m going to try this for a month, then report back how it’s going.
I share this because saying I’m doing this will keep me accountable. :)